3D printed footplate mod for i1IO v1 to fit i1pro2

The i1io from xrite is a wonderful machine for printmakers. It is basically a robotic arm which holds the i1pro spectrophotometer and automatically takes readings of color patch charts.
Making good printer/paper profiles is time consuming work, and to do that, we have to go beyond the 912 patch chart provided by basic i1match packages. I generally use charts that are over 3000 patches in order to build a good profile, and trying to hand scan them line by line with the basic slider provided with the spectrophotometer will take up a lot of time.
So what the i1io does is it holds the spectro at the end of its arm, and does the the sliding/scanning for me in a quick and precise manner, saving me a whole load of time and swearing (errors happens when you scan manually, either going too fast or too slow).

Basically I've been using the i1io for about 1 year before the i1pro2 came out. Due to certain hardware changes, the i1pro2 wasn't able to fit the foot plate. And Xrite wants a shitload of money to make a small plastic upgrade (they told me the circuitboard had to be replaced too, which I thought was bullshit), plus shipping the entire i1io around will cost another bomb. So I searched around a bit to see what other solutions are on the net.
First promising link turned out to be a hack done by Argyll CMS founder Graeme Gill. It also turns out that it's the ONLY option around.

For a week or so I was seriously contemplating to break out my dremel and make the cut, then it suddenly dawned on me since I had 2 3D printers in the office, I might as well make a totally new footplate. #hack :]

After a bit of measurements and about 6 prototypes, I ended up with one that fits well and is structurally strong enough to support the spectro.
Here's the final version

Getting printed

Finished printing



The black patches are thick PTFE stickers to raise the plate slightly and make it glide around without scratching the charts.

In action

*update* Due to morons exploiting my work to glorify themselves, no re-distribution is allowed. Please link back to this article if you want your folks to access the file. I'm embarrassed to even mention this but I've no choice but to do so or risk losing the motivation to share and give back to the community due to unscrupulous pigs.
*update2* still way too many folks ripping off my page without so much as a word of thanks. So I'm taking the file down.
If anybody wants it, simply ask from me. Cheerios.

If you like my efforts and would like to donate as a form of appreciation, here's the link. Thank you! ;)

*update 28-8-2014*
Apologies to all the inquiries regarding the footplate thru my contact plugin. It appears that the plugin company is blackmailing me into a paying subscription and is withholding the emails and not letting me reply them.
I'll be installing a new contact option soon. Cheers~

*update 13-10-2014*
I've signed up with shapeways and made the print available there for anyone who wants to try their hand at retrofitting their i1io.
They make pretty good prints and are fast in delivery so I hope it works for everyone. :)

A Multiple Extruder on a rotating turret idea for FFF / FDM 3D printers *Updated*

I've been puzzled for quite a while over the issue of the design of multiple extruders on FDM 3D printers. Most of the current design dictates an XY offset, which I feel cannibalizes on the XY build space of the printer. Not only that, it requires multiple feed motors, one for each nozzle, and that does add significant inertia to the moving head, generating much unwanted vibrations. Another common solution was to use bowden extruders, which suffers from poor retraction performance.
So I started to think of a solution that tackles all my peeves at one go.

I ended up with a design that can comfortably take up to 5 nozzles in a relatively small area, and only requires 2 motors - one to drive the feed gears, and another to switch the nozzles around a rotating turret. Each nozzle/hotend will have its own feed gears which will mesh with feed motor when it's in the printing state.

concept for multiple extruder design
concept for multiple extruder design

So far it's still a concept and a drawing. Altho I'm a mechanical engineer, I'm not in a good position to actually implement it due to my work commitments and lack of firmware programming skills. So I will leave this idea with the wonderful and innovative folks of the 3D printing world to try it for yourselves if you decide it's worth a go.



From the (lack of) response in the reprap forum, I'd guess that my drawing sucked. lol

So I tried a sketchup model to see if I can get the idea across more easily.